The Scandinavian Society for Immunology (SSI) includes the national immunological societies of the 5 Nordic countries: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. SSI has currently >>1000 members. Its official language is English.
The main activities of SSI are to organize scientific meetings and courses, give travel grants to SSI meetings and support student exchange between laboratories, plus other educational activities.
Scandinavian Journal of Immunology
Scandinavian Journal of Immunology is the official journal of the society, we encourage all to publish in this journal.
Visions and purposes of SSI
• To be an attractive organization for all interested in immunology
• Foster Scandinavian immunologist and further develop Scandinavian immunology
• Visualize Scandinavian immunology and immunologists nationally and internationally
• To promote interaction between young and senior scientists
• To promote interaction between Scandinavian immunologists
• To be an interphase to the global national societies for immunology
• To be an interphase to other disciplines like rheumatology, transplantation, neurology…
• To provide knowledge on current and novel immune related drugs
• To attract students and young investigators into immunology research and to promote their development
• Help each other to improve and harmonize teaching of immunology in undergraduate education and PhD training
• To encourage educational courses and themed meetings in immunology
• Support development of immunology in developing countries
The big picture
SSI is part of a greater society.
IUIS is an umbrella organisation including the four Regional Federations seen in the picture below. These Federations are composed of smaller societies (e.g. SSI) and National Immunological Societies. Some big National Societies such as the American and the Canadian Immunological Societies are linked directly to IUIS. In total there are 67 member societies in IUIS.
As an SSI member you are also member of the European Federation of Immunological Society (EFIS). EFIS arranges the European congress of Immunology (ECI) meetings, which were held in Berlin 2009 and in Glasgow 2012. In 2015 the ECI meeting took place in Vienna. The European Journal of Immunology and Immunology Letter are the official journals of EFIS. www.efis.org/index.html
As a member SSI and EFIS you are also a member of the International Union of Immunological Societies (IUIS), which arranges the international congresses of immunology (ICI). In 2013 ICI took place in Milan, Italy and in 2016 it will be held in Melbourne, Australia:
The official journal of IUIS is Frontiers in Immunology: